Re: upgrading in sid

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 18:34:55 -0500, charlie derr wrote:

[...]

> ni@delete:~$ /sbin/ldconfig -pNX | grep 'libz\.so'
>         libz.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
>         libz.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libz.so.1
>         libz.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libz.so
>         libz.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/libz.so
> ni@delete:~$
>
> I'm not aware of ever intentionally doing anything to install any
> 64bit libs.  My whole system is running as 32-bit.

Your system is OK, except for the fact that there is a non-Debian
libz.so.1 in /usr/local/lib/. Wherever this file came from, it does not
implement the gzopen64 function which is needed by gconftool-2. Your
problem will persist as long as the linker gives precedence to
/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.

[...]

> ni@delete:~$ ldd /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 | grep libz
>         libz.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7e83000)

Same as above: You need to see /usr/lib/libz.so.1 here (no "/local/").

> I think I'd like to understand why this first attempt didn't work.

I don't think you did anything so far. ("/sbin/ldconfig -pNX" is a
diagnostic command; I was trying to tell you how to check which
locations are known for the libz library.)

> aptitude is still very broken, full output here at
> http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/door/AptitudeUpgradeStillFailing

The main issue seems to be the gconftool-2 problem. Whenever you call
aptitude it will first try to fix the broken packages and it will
continue to fail until the libz.so.1 issue is addressed.

> i'm totally lost by now (but eagerly trying to keep up), here's the output from that one:
>
> $ /sbin/ldconfig -pNX | grep local
>         libz.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
>         libz.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libz.so
>         libsvn_ra_local-1.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_local-1.so.1
>         liblocalkonnector.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/liblocalkonnector.so
>
> so should i get rid of all those (or rename them) and see if that helps?

AFAICT, your only two problems are /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1 and
/usr/local/lib/libz.so. My problem is that I don't know why these files
are on your system, therefore I am hesitant to tell you to delete or
rename them, because this might break other things.

In my opinion you have three options:

1) Tells us exactly how and why these /usr/local/lib/ files got on your
   system. We might be able to figure out what the safest approach is if
   we know that.

2) Read up on the basics of linking and shared libraries, then make an
   informed decision yourself after you fully understand the present
   problem.

3) Remove or rename the /usr/local/lib/libz.so* files, run "ldconfig"
   (as root, without any arguments or options), make sure that "ldd
   /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 | grep libz" shows /usr/lib/libz.so.1 will be
   used, and run "aptitude install -f".

          Florian   |