Re: booting from DVD?

Miles Fidelman(mfidelman@meetinghouse.net) is reported to have said:
> Wayne Topa wrote:
>>
>> If you have k3b installed you could try usig it to create a bootable
>> dvd.
>>

> just tried k3b, and it wasn't bootable either

If you tried using the prior udf dvd then I would think it wouldn't
work.  Did you try formating that dvd before you tried burning to it?

I always use a cd/dvd R/W to check the iso out before I burn to a cd/dvd R,
just in case.

> I've tried burning several images that purport to be bootable, but I'm
> guessing there are some parameters I have to set as well.  When I burn CDs,
> they just work - but the DVDs don't (readable, but not bootable) - so I'm
> not sure what's going on.

When you select the iso file, does k3b show it is reading it?  Does it
show an Md5 checksum?

I just tried, as a user & as root, on an amd64 box and a K7 box.  K3b
v1.0.3-2 on the amd64 box and k3b v0.12.17-9 on the k7 box and they
both created a bootable DVD.  I just selected "Burn DVD ISO Image"
after if formated the DVD R/Wg.  Both boxes are running testin and kernel
2.6.21-2.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Never say "OOPS!" always say "Ah, Interesting!"