Re: Re: Problem with Lenny / Intel 82801G (ICH7) and line-in

[...]

> I am using audacity, there it works in the meanwhile (somehow). I had to > select "Mic" as input source with alsamixer and audacity is using "OSS: > /dev/dsp " as input source and "ALSA: HDA Intel: STAC92xx Digital > (hw:0,1)" as output device.

Complex programs, such as audacity, are not the right tools to
troubleshoot hardware and driver problems (in my opinion). What happens
if you use "arecord"?
the same noisy something as skype does.

But with skype the recorded sound is really strange. Might there be a > problem with codecs?

What do you mean by "strange"? Over-amplified and distorted maybe?
it's not very clear, there is a grumbling in the background with clicking noise.

Try to adjust "Capture" levels with alsamixer until you get a clean
recording with arecord, then you can start to worry about the additional
problems involving skype. I would begin by turning down "Digtal" (that
control is very touchy for my Intel ICH8 card).
Turning down "Digital" results in having nothing recorded. Also strange is that all "Capture" levels have to be quite high in addition to "Digital" that you can hear something.

Peter