Re: How do you turn on and off a program automatcially

On 9/30/07, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> I struggled for a while to figure out how to do exactly this, without
> success.  I believe that cron does not work, since (at least some)
> ncurses apps insist on being run from a terminal.

Lets get back to first principles then.

How does a curses app know if its being run from a terminal?  I can't
read source and I don't have curses book handy so I'll guess:

TERM=

if it can look up that term in termcap/terminfo to see how to draw?

The value of tty?

Perhaps without an actual tty-type device it can't work?

---

If you do your at su - (I forget the syntax) command but have it echo
the env to a file, do you get a TERM set?

Perhaps create a script that sets TERM and then runs mc.  Then have at
run that script?

Doug.