Re: lots of invalid email trying to come in

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 07:36:40AM -0700, Raquel wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 20:14:44 -0400
> Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
>
> > Suddenly I'm getting lots of email to someuser@mywebsite.info
> > where 'someuser' can be most anything. They're coming from
> > different ips, some of which have no host name. ('mywebsite' is
> > not the real name.)
> >
> > What's going on? How can I stop it?
>
> Welcome to the Internet.  You can't stop them from trying to get in
> (except by taking the machine off-line).  You can only keep them
> from getting in.

Exim was doing a very good job of keeping them from getting in. The
reason I posted was the fact of all the *different* ips trying to send
to invalid users at the same host within a relatively short period of
time. Does that mean that those ips are actually zombies that are being
used to send email? If so, should their owners be notified?

--
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your
 character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what