Re: HELP! can't become root

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, tom arnall wrote:

On Saturday 06 October 2007 20:46, Kevin Mark wrote:
On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 11:30:42AM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
Realistically, is there any way I can fix my system so I can log in  as
root, without reinstalling the OS?

Here is the question: lets say you fix the initial problem and CAN log
in as root. What next? You have a few hundred files with the wrong
permission.

Q: How do you fix this? A: with great pains!

On an average unix system, you can access the data or configuration by
using a live cd or similar, then back that up. Now that you have the
important data like the output of 'dpkg --get-selections´, you now know
what packages to install when you reformat the partition! So you do a
base install, use 'dpkg --set-selections', do the other bits to install
the rest of the packages, and in about 1/2 a day, you can be back to a
reasonable state.

The other way is to fiddle with a few hundred files until you get an
only mildly broken system. At least that is the way I look at it, YMMV.

But I would still like to get a list of the normal /dev perm's. Keep in mind
that my system, so far ;) , seems to be functioning normally, except I can't
do 'su'. Another consideration is that I'm thinking of getting new hardware
and would as soon put off the systems work until then.

heres a list of files that need 4755 perms, at least on my system, you may or may not have some of these files:
/bin/su
/bin/mount
/bin/umount
/bin/ping
/bin/ping6

/usr/bin/newgrp
/usr/bin/chfn
/usr/bin/chsh
/usr/bin/gpasswd
/usr/bin/passwd
/usr/bin/traceroute.lbl
/usr/bin/gpg
/usr/bin/mtr
/usr/bin/sudoedit
/usr/bin/sudo
/usr/bin/fping
/usr/bin/fping6
/usr/bin/sperl5.8.8
/usr/bin/traceroute6
/usr/bin/netkit-rcp
/usr/bin/netkit-rsh
/usr/bin/netkit-rlogin

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.