Re: HELP! can't become root

On 10/03/2007 02:12 PM, tom arnall wrote:
I got impatient with an aumix error and did 'chmod -R /dev' (and ctl-C'ed out of it after ~3 min's.) now I can't become root. Some examples:
[...]

After you get this fixed, I suggest that you create a tar backup of your /dev directory. It's best to do this while you're not running the system, because special directories such as /dev/pts will be copied incorrectly.

I just made my backup of Sarge's /dev directory. If you do it while running the O/S, you'll have to remove files like these from the tar file:

dev/core
dev/pts/0
dev/pts/1
dev/pts/2
dev/pts/3
dev/ram
dev/fd
dev/stdin
dev/stdout
dev/stderr

Remove everything in dev/pts/ from the tar file.