Re: Converting sxw files to ps or pdfs

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:11:03AM -0700, Bill wrote:

> > > No I checked. There is a difference between internal file formats
> > > and exportable or print-to-file formats. This secondary support
> > > can be applied only to one file at a time. It's a time consuming
> > > and error prone process when you're looking at a massive mail
> > > merge. You just know you're going to get 10-20% errors - typos,
> > > omissions, misnaming etc. <shudder>.
> >
> > Typos when running a mail merge??????????
>
> No not from the merge itself, automation is the way out of the
> problem. The but I guarantee you if you had to load 500 .sxw
> files one at a time, convert them and then print them to file
> as .ps files you'd make mistakes. Hey try it at home. Count the
> clicks involved saving a single .sxw file as a postscript file.
> Sorry it defeats the entire purpose of a mail merge. It's like
> flying across two continents first class in a 747 and then
> crawling home from the airport on your hands and knees.

Just to say it -- is there no option for the output of the mailmerge?

I imagine you'll have to get creative and either use the Ooo scripting
interface *or* do it outside or Ooo: roll your own little script to
sed the appropriate fields and output it into a ps format. Maybe you
could save the thing into some TeX format, script a bunch of seds and
the run the appropriate tex output program.