Re: rescue bootable cd ???

On Oct 3, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 07:37:10PM -0500, helices <helices@helices.org> was heard to say:
The problem with knoppix cd, and the debian installation/rescue cd, is that they do NOT understand the specifics of my lvm over software raid
5.  The specifics required probably all reside under /etc -- on a
filesystem in lvm on software raid 5.

Are you sure this is the case? Software raid and LVM are both kernel things (with userland support utilities), and they're autodetected using magic numbers on the partitions. As long as the kernel is compiled with
support, I'd expect them to be accessible.  It might be that the
autodetection just isn't running on startup; I wonder if some work with mdadm and the LVM utilities would get you access to the volumes. It might
at least be worth a try.

I find that LVM-over-RAID is not autodetected by most rescue disks. It's necessary to first bring up the RAID array manually with mdadm, then run vgscan and vgchange -ay to start up LVM. After that it should work fine. I've done this before, but it's been a little while and I can't remember the exact command lines I used.