Re: How to access RS-232 console from terminal?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:37:43AM -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> > You may also find a UNIX/Linux port of Putty, if you want to use a
> > "familiar" interface, as the Debian package 'putty' ( what else? ;)
> >
> > However, you will still need something like minicom to make the actual
> > connection through the serial line, as others have mentioned.
> >

> Thanks for the reply. Yeah I checked out minicom. It seems like it
> is the way to go. As for putty, it is quite nice but I was looking for
> something really powerful with debugging and file sending capabilities.
> It seems like minicom is the only option there.

It's not the only option, but perhaps the easiest to get working. I use
cu quite a bit, a very lean option originally from the uucp system (aka
tip on other systems), particular where running it under a scripted
wrapper, e.g., with expect or Perl's Expect module.  It's also possible
to drive the serial port directly via terminal or shell, but maybe a bit
tough to get the stty settings configured correctly, something that minicom
does for you.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu