Re: Etch updates contain new version of Vim?

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 10:09:12PM -0000, BartlebyScrivener <bscrivener42@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> So I'm curious. I thought with Stable (Etch at the moment) the only
> updates automatically installed are security updates. And when I
> search the changelog, it does not mention Vim:
>
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/ChangeLog

  There are two sources of updates:

    (a) security updates, from security.debian.org
    (b) updates to the stable release, such as etch r0, r1, r2.

  Changes to the stable release occur relatively infrequently and include
all the security updates since the last release, along with (at the
stable release manager's discretion) fixes for particularly severe bugs.
Bugfixes are generally for things like "the package doesn't work at all"
that would be RC pre-release.
  The stable release is what's used to produce official CD images, as a
reference point when discussing version numbers, etc.  This is probably
what the Changelog you found refers to.

  Security updates are published ASAP for obvious reasons.  But they
aren't included in the main Debian archive, which contains the last
official stable release, since they aren't yet part of it.  Instead
they're published from security.debian.org.  As the other responder
to your message wrote, you can see Debian's security alerts at
http://security.debian.org .

  Daniel