Re: KDE Adept updater, Synaptic apt-get, Xserver issue

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:17:44AM -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> I have seen this for years but until now I just left it alone. I now need to
> be able to allow someone else to do some of the system updating & they are
> not as experienced as I so they are less likely to perceive this as simply a
> quirk. When I do an update or any other function from the xserver screen in
> KDE with any Debian system update app I get this message from the app:
>

> dpkg-preconfigure: cannot connect to X server :0.0
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Kde

debconf is set to use KDE as its frontend, which means it needs access
to the xserver, but the X environment is setup for whatever user
initiated this session.

> debconf: (DISPLAY problem?)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog

a sane fall back position.

> Preconfiguring packages ...
> (Reading database ... 398019 files and directories currently installed.)
>
> It is a source of irritation to me. I tried switching the Xwrapper.config
> to "allowed_users=anybody" (against my better judgement) but that did not fix
> the problem. I do not run these as root but instead use the root password
> from the xserver screen when asked for it.

well, which app specifically do you want this person to use?

I would recommend that you

dpkg-reconfigure debconf -plow

to setup debconf for a console based front-end -- either dialog or
curses.

the other option is to set up a proper X environment for root that
gets invoked when you run these apps. I don't know how to do this
without reading some manpages, but it involves preserving the users
environment when swithcing over to root's environment and is probably
not advised.