Re: Printer setup problem in Etch

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 08:31:16PM -0400, Bob C wrote:

> I am having a difficult time getting my printer to work on Etch with
> CUPS 1.2.7. When I print a page from Openoffice the printer responds,
> but prints a line of meaningless symbols.

I had hoped that doing regular updates on my system, which is now Lenny,
would eventually solve the problem, but it still would not print until
today.

I finally found how to fix the problem after reading this report of Bug
#38805 in Debian. They found the parallel port settings in the bios were
involved in the problem.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+bug/38805

I checked my bios setup and under Parellel Port Mode found four choices.
Normal, Bi-directional, EPP and ECP. I experienced the printer problem
with the bios set to ECP.

When I choose Normal, the printer now works.

Bob C