Re: Network card activation

Oscar Corte wrote:
Hi all I’m using Debian Etch, and in order to activate my network card y have to go into “Networking” gnome’s option menu, click on eth0, then click on “Deactivate” button and then on “Activate”. I don't get an IP address unless I do this. There should be a configuration where this can be fixed, however I’m not sure which one. After reading some other topics into this list I assume that this should be into '/etc/network/interfaces'. Is this correct? I would appreciate any hints about it or any links to documentation where I can find more about this. Thanks to everyone and Regards.
Oscar Corte

Chapter 10 of the debian reference manual describes the procedure to configure networking.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html

You might find it easier to use the gui tool "network-admin" to set your preferences. Select eth0 and click on the "Properties" button to make your changes.

HTH,
rajkiran