Re: Help Please

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 16:13:59 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 30 September 2007 15:27, ankit . wrote:
> > Sir
> >
> > Please help me to install intex RTL 8139d nic on debian 4.0. Debain is
> > unable to detect the nic on it's own. What should I do to install the nic.
> >
> > The technical specification of the nic I am using:
> >
> > http://www.intextechnologies.com/computerperi1.aspx?cat=Computer%20Peripher
> >als&sub=Ethernet%20Card\Switch&pro=Card%2010/%20100%20Mbps
> >
> > Thanking You
> >
> > Ankit
>
> My 8139 card may be a bit earlier that yours, but I found that I had to load
> the 8139too module to get the card to work. try as root.
> modprobe 8139too

If you google for "intex ethernet card linux" then you find a number of
complaints, stating that this card does not actually use the Realtek
8139 chipset. It seems to be a cheap knock-off chipset from Silan
Microelectronics; the confusing model number has almost certainly been
chosen on purpose.

The people in this discussion thread

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=441115

conclude that you need the "sc92031" driver for Intex NICs. This module
came into the mainline kernel at version 2.6.21, while Etch has 2.6.18.
(I can only confirm that the 2.6.22 version of sc92031.c has the text
"Rsltek 8139D PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver" in the source code.)

The best procedure for someone who is relatively new to Linux and Debian
might be to download one of Kenshi Muto's custom Etch installer images,
because they have the 2.6.21 kernel. ISOs for i386 and amd64 are
available here:

http://mirror.home-dn.net/d-i/

          Florian   |