Re: Re: etch + xp

Hi Pierre,

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 09:41:48AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>>
>> I am running etch in a machine with two HDs. Etch is running in the
>> master HD (hdc), the second HD (hdd), the slave, is empty. In the >> second >> hd (hdd) I need to install windows xp. I wonder how to do that in >> order
>> to get a dual boot system, managed by grub. The bios let me define the
>> HD from which the system boots. Now the bios is configured to boot >> from >> hdc, where etch (and grub) resides: hdc-hdd. Due that during the >> install
>> of xp the system re-boots several times from the HD, I wonder if I can
>> install xp on hdd simply inverting the boot sequence: hdd-hdc, and,
>> after the installation of xp, inverting the sequence again: hdc-hdd, >> in
>> order to boot with grub.
>>
>> If it is possible, I guess I still need to tell grub that there is
>> another OS in the system. How can I do that?
>>

> I thought that windows was a megalomaniac and would only work from the
> first hard drive of the first controller (hda).
>
> Don't know for sure since I haven't used Windows since 3.1.
>
> Doug.

Nope. XP will boot from another partition too. hda1 or sda1 is not a option for it. But it will install its own bootmanager into the mbr. So save your
mbr first with dd (BEFORE you install XP!!!!). You can put the etch
bootimage onto your hard disk and call it by the XP bootloader by setting a
line to the XP boot.ini (save it on a usb-stick e.g. to transfer it after
the XP is installed).

But I want to install XP in another disk, different from which etch is
installed. So XP will install its own bootmanager into the mbr of this
different disk. Am I wright? Remember that I can tell the bios from what
disk the system boots. I gues I can use this in order to make the system
boot from the second disk, where XP is being installed, making XP ignore
the disk where etch is installed.

XP will install it into the Master Boot Record. That's the one on the first disc who is to boot. Changing the boot priority or the order of the disk could cause troubles.
You wrote, that you are Using the first IDE disc as

hdc

Normally the first disc is hda, so have you a DVD Rom or something like it connected as primary master? If XP will write its bootloader onto the mbr of the 2nd disc if it is remapped by the bios I don't now. It is a risk to lose your bootmanager on the first disc if windows won't get the trick. Therefore I would save the old mbr for any evil case.

If you have a SATA disc:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/home/[your username]/etch.lin bs=512 count=1

Both disk are ATA, not SATA. The line is the same in this case?

primary master is hda
primary slave hdb
secondary master hdc
secondary slave hdd

If it is a primary master, the line is

dd if=/dev/hda of=/home/[your username]/etch.lin bs=512 count=1

Insert this line into your xp boot.ini (if XP uses the partition as C:\ ):

c:\etch.lin="Debian Etch"

That gives you a new bootoption in your XP bootloader. From there you can
start Etch again and repair the grub bootloader if you want to stick to
grub.

Thank you!

No problem :)

cu