Re: rescue bootable cd ???

Thank you, all, for your insights.

When I composed the first message, I had in mind the olden days when I
often (not always ;<) made a bootable floppy when I made a new kernel.
That bootable floppy booted off of the exact same kernel, except a
different copy residing on the floppy.  When the system completed boot,
I was logging into the actual system, even though I booted off of the
floppy based kernel.

The problem with knoppix cd, and the debian installation/rescue cd, is
that they do NOT understand the specifics of my lvm over software raid
5.  The specifics required probably all reside under /etc -- on a
filesystem in lvm on software raid 5.

Actually, I believe that both instances that stung me were lilo, not
grub; and, NO, there is no /boot outside of both lvm and software raid
5.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,