Re: backports

Hello Steffen and Florian.

Steffen Joeris wrote:
> HI mate

[...]
> white@katha:~$ gpg --keyserver keyring.debian.org --recv-key 4B2B2B9E
> gpg: requesting key 4B2B2B9E from hkp server keyring.debian.org
> gpg: key 4B2B2B9E: "Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net>" not
> changed
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:              unchanged: 1
>

> Works here. Maybe you should check your connection, it should be able to reach
> keyring.debian.org .

Strange. I can ping the Debian keyserver:

$ ping keyring.debian.org
PING keyring.debian.org (192.25.206.59) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from raff.debian.org (192.25.206.59): icmp_seq=1 ttl=40 time=158 ms

but I cannot get the key from it. This is for a new user "dave":

dave@desktop:/home/chris$ gpg --keyserver keyring.debian.org --recv-key
4B2B2B9Egpg: directory `/home/dave/.gnupg' created
gpg: can't open `/gnupg/options.skel': No such file or directory
gpg: keyring `/home/dave/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/home/dave/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 4B2B2B9E from hkp server keyring.debian.org
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: read_block: read error: invalid packet
gpg: Total number processed: 0
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

The public keyserver works on the first occasion:

dave@desktop:/home/chris$ gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-key 4B2B2B9E
gpg: requesting key 4B2B2B9E from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
gpg: /home/dave/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 4B2B2B9E: public key "Daniel Baumann
<daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net>" imported
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1

but when I try again I get the message "1 new signature" and the keyserver times
out:

dave@desktop:/home/chris$ gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-key 4B2B2B9E
gpg: requesting key 4B2B2B9E from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: key 4B2B2B9E: "Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net>" 1 new
signature
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:         new signatures: 1
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

Next time I get the message "not changed" and the keyserver times out.

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> The "ultimately trusted" key should be your own. Did you experiment with
> gpg in the past and generate a key (pair) which you deleted again?

The new user "dave" had not previously used gpg.

Perhaps I need to configure an ultimately trusted key (for the new user) to
avoid these keyserver errors?

--
Chris.