Re: [OT] google desktop on Debian

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 8:20 am, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Google has a Debian version of its desktop:
> http://desktop.google.com/linux/download.html
>
> Installing it on my Sid box with fvwm windowmanager and iceweasel
> browser does exactly nothing: no messages, nothing. So I uninstalled it
> again.
>
> Did anybody try it?
>
> Hugo

I saw it on slashdot, and thought about trying it. I have used Google Desktop
on my WinXP box, and I have to say, I do not like that deskbar thing, or
the 'floating taskbar' whatever-you-call it. I do, however enjoy desktop
search.

But, Kerry/Beagle are a perfect desktop search component for Linux. And there
is even, for Gnome users, the deskbar applet to make it like Mac OSX
Spotlight and the Google taskbar search.

One advantage/feature of Google Desktop is that it also indexes Gmail
messages. But I use Kmail with Gmail, so Beagle/Kerry does that, too. I guess
if you just use Gmail web mail this would be helpful. I just don't have the
need.

--
Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com>
Location: GA, USA              Web: http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com