Re: Twinview Monitor Issues (Monitor #s and Resolution)

On June 25, 2007 05:50:24 am Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I have an NVidia GEforce 6800 with two monitors attached.  One is a
> widescreen, hooked up with a DVI cable, at 1680x1050, and the other is
> hooked up with a VGA cable and set at 1280x1024.  They are working, but
> there are two issues I'd like to resolve.
>
> According to KDE, the CRT is #1 and the DVI is #2 (or 0 and 1 in
> xorg.conf).  I've swapped the connections on the card and tried to
> specify the monitors differently in the MetaMode option in xorg.conf,
> but it makes no difference.  I've seen a few issues with this.  For
> instance, when I'm in Konqueror and click on a folder of bookmarks, the
> drop down menu from that always appears on display 0, which is the
> older monitor.  I can understand there are some glitches and if I'm
> going to deal with them, I'd rather have the widescreen, my main
> monitor, recognized as the first screen.

The nvidia driver always seems to want to make the CRT primary monitor unless
you use the UseDisplayDevice option as in my first monitor section in my
xorg.conf I show below. When I had dual CRT the monitor connected to the port
nearest the motherboard was always primary but that is not the case with
CRT/DPF connected to the card.

> The other issue is one I don't think there's a resolution for.  Using a
> vertical resolution of 1050 on the widescreen and 1024 for the vertical
> resolution of 1024 for the "regular" monitor leaves a deadspace of 26
> pixels on the regular monitor.  I know I can pan on that, but seeing
> anything on that screen move up and down as I move the cursor is very
> distracting.  Ideally, I'd like to set the resolution on that monitor
> at 1312x1050 instead of 1280x1024.  I've tried it and the monitor
> doesn't display a thing.

I think this is a twinview problem with the dead space when I use as I always
have the two separate X screens I get my native 1680x1050 on the DFP and
whatever resolution I want on the CRT no dead space you might want to give
this a try instead of twinview. Now there are a couple of annoyances like not
being able to move programs between the screens but I can live with that and
one that just developed when I connected the DFP that I have to figure out
where the taskbar on the CRT wants to be at the 1050 postion when I am
running at 1600x1200 then when at the 1280x960 it disappears under the bottom
of the monitor and I have to raise the taskbar on the DFP for it to come up
on the CRT so I can use it never used to do that with dual CRT different
resolutions it was always at the bottom of both screens no matter the
resolutions on either.

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/share/fonts/truetype"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/deforma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load    "xtrap"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

#Logitech LX7 Cordless Optical
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Name"                  "Logitech USB RECEIVER"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
        Option          "Resolution"            "1200"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "NoLogo" "on"
        Option      "NvAgp"  "3"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option      "BackingStore" "On"
        Option      "Coolbits"    "1"
        Option      "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "TV"
        Screen       0
        VendorName  "EVGA"
        BoardName   "e-Geforce 7900 GS KO"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card1"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "NoLogo" "on"
        Option      "NvAgp"  "3"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option      "BackingStore" "On"
        Option      "DPI" "100x100"
        Option      "Coolbits"    "1"
        Screen      1
        Option      "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "TV"
        VendorName  "EVGA"
        BoardName   "e-Geforce 7900 GS KO"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

# Dell 2007WFP
Section "Monitor"
       DisplaySize      431   272     # mm
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       VendorName   "Dell"
       ModelName    "2007WFP"
       HorizSync    30-81
       VertRefresh  56-76
       Option       "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
       Option       "AllowDDCCI" "on"
       Option       "DPMS" "true"
       Option       "BackingStore" "On"
EndSection

# Philips 201B4
Section "Monitor"
       DisplaySize      406   305     # mm
       Identifier  "Monitor1"
       VendorName  "Philips"
       ModelName   "201B4"
       HorizSync    30-115 # DDC-probed
       VertRefresh  50-160 # DDC-probed
       Option      "UseDisplayDevice" "CRT-1"
       Option      "DPMS"  "true"
       Option      "BackingStore" "On"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth  24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1680x1050"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device     "Card1"
        Monitor    "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1600x1200" "1280x960"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "DualHead"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

> Thanks for any help!
>
> Hal