Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 05:08:35PM +0200, JWS wrote:
> S. Keeling wrote:
>
> > So, perhaps ca. two thousand, six hundred, and ninety five files
> > which have nothing to do with my printer?  At least they're all
> > gzipped ...
>
> Astonishing. I've never understood the reason for having CUPS at
> all (being a happy lprng user) but I had no idea it was *this*
> bad. Surely at least the package maintainer should have realised
> that something absurd was going on?

> Agreed. We do not have a "user vote" system in Debian, but if we
> had one, my vote would be to remove all dependencies from packages
> that tend to make CUPS the default print system. I've posted about
> this before..

you can use popcon so that at least you can "vote" for others besides
CUPS. And i suppose you could file wishlist bugs against packages that
unnecessarily depend on CUPS. They could change the dependencies so
that (and it may already exist) any one of cups, lprng etc. "provides"
"printing system" .

.02