Re: Which hardware for saving backups?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:26:52 -0400
Scott Gifford <sgifford@suspectclass.com> wrote:

> I've got two servers and a machine at home I've tried
> backing up to a USB drive, and in each case after a few
> weeks/months I start getting hardware errors from the USB drive,
> and the files I backed up aren't accessible.

The only problem I'm having with USB drives is that frequently-used plug connections go bad after a while. Meaning that in the middle of a session you lose the drive as if you had pulled the plug and have to re-mount it. This is annoying, but I've never lost data that way (with ext3 journaling fs).

--D.