tmpfs question

Hi guys,

I have a virtual server from Bytemark, running what was installed as Sarge and upgraded along the way to Etch.

For some reason there are two tmpfs mounts, both 72MB in size - about half my memory each:

# df -lh
/dev/ubdc             9.9G  1.8G  7.8G  19% /
tmpfs                  72M     0   72M   0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs                  72M     0   72M   0% /dev/shm

I tracked these down to /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh and /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

What is this used for? Bearing in mind that I'm still running the 2.4 kernel (UML - I can select a different one through the console but since this one is working I'm not about to fix it), is it safe to stop these two services and unmount the two tmpfs mounts?

Thanks
Hans