Re: Which hardware for saving backups?

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
Something to consider:  The price of an external multi-drive enclosure
with cables would probably cost more than an old spare computer (PII?)
plus a decent PCI ethernet card.  I did that with my 486 but with ISA it
only does 10-T ethernet.

Poke around the school.  You may be surprised what old computers are
around that work perfectly for what you want.
I had something like this in mind as I know the faculty has a lot of old computers lying around. I will probably start with one drive and after testing move to some RAID configuration. Is software RAID good enough for this purpose or is better to buy RAID controller?

thanks
Mitja