Re: backup script modification help

On Jun 4, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Wei Chen wrote:

I recommend rdiff-backup. It does incremental backups. It is easy to use
and has powerful statistics displaying functions. I personally use it.

It is in the repository so easy to install. There is detailed document and
sample commands on its Website http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

backupninja is a decent front-end for rdiff-backup and other niceties, like things that can do backups/dumps of live mysql databases, etc. As its readme states, it can "configure and coordinate many different backup utilities".

It's very "server-esqe" in that you have an /etc/backup.d directory with your various backup routines and it runs them in succession and reports success/failure on whatever schedule you choose.

Although I've never used this piece of it, it also has a console helper called ninjahelper to help create the configuration files... they were simple enough that I've never needed to do that.

I've found it very useful.  Hope that helps.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com