Which is the correct configuration for a usb cd burner?

Hi, I just bought a LACIE usb burner and, most unfortunatly, k3b
doesn't recognize it...
The device was recognized by udev as /dev/ubb and if I insert a (full)
cd in it, KDE authomatically mounts it and makes its content
accessible correctly... But still k3b isn't able to use it as a burner
(or a reader). My question now is how a CD/DVD burner should be
recognized under Debian...

I'm running a debian testing/unstable with kernel 2.6.18 custom build
(I have enabled/disabled scsi emulation just to try it, but with no
different results) and k3b 1.0.1 ... When I power up my pc /dev/ubb is
already there (usb cable is inserted) and the device is recognized
with group "floppy", while the internal reader is recognized under /
dev/hda with group "cdrom". If I insert a blank cd in the usb burner,
it starts to recursively try to access it and fails (of course... it's
blank!)... I have to manually switch it off, exctract the cd and then
power it up again to stop it from trying...

Have you any suggestion? LACIE says its burner is tested with linux
mandriva, fedora, ubuntu (and others) and k3b... but perhaps I'm
missing some important kernel module? Or udev configuration? I googled
around, but with no luck... Can you help me?

Thanks,
Matteo