openoffice.org-writer on amd64 hangs kde when trying to open file menu

Using current Lenny amd64 install with kde on a dual Opteron I clicked
on the following document in Iceweasel

http://www.byggutbildarna.com/kurser/kotl/entreprenadkontrakt_abs05.doc

which downloaded it and opened it in openoffice.org-writer. So far so
good. But when I clicked on the File menu to quit openoffice, the
application froze. The machine had not however crashed completely.

I have a two monitor setup with the main screen to the left (on the
AGP-card) and a PCI-card that drives an extra screen to the right.
The application window was opened on the right monitor and with the
mouse I could move on most part of that screen, but it was impossible
to move over to the left monitor, or in fact closer than some 200
pixels from the left hand side of the right monitor.

What is really the status of openoffice on 64-bit computers?

Anders