Re: Emacs 22 for Etch

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 06:11:47AM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
> >I don't use emacs, however my search of what is in Etch leads me to
> >believe that only emacs 20 and 21 are available in Etch.  If you can't
> >find a backport, you can always get the source package and backport it
> >yourself:
> >
> >http://people.connexer.com/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize
>
> How do you build the package if you can't get the dsc file or a source
> from a debian repo?  Can I get normal emacs source package and then
> use the tutorial to build it? I got confused reading th etutorial how
> to do this in case I get the source from a non debian site. It may be
> helpful to include this info in the tutorial I think.

Well, the tutorial is specifically about customizing a Debian source
package.  However, in an case like this, you can probably get the Ubuntu
source and make it work with some tweaking.  I know that peopl have said
not to mix Ubuntu packages with Debian packages.  However, that applies
to binary packages.  That is, you don't want to mix the Debian and
Ubuntu repos in your sources.list and then try and install from both.
Source packages are a different animal altogether.

The build processes are the same, so if you get the Ubuntu source and
build it on Debian, it should work fine, since you will get a binary
pacakge that is built against and depends on components that are on your
Debian system.

Regards,

-Roberto

--