Re: LNE100TX lan card detected as eth2

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 21:14 -0400, Charles Roberts wrote:
> system: etch
> I installed a new lan card(Linksys model LNE100TX). The system detected
> it and installed the tulip module but the network was not working. I
> executed "ifconfig -a" and it showed the new lan card as eth2 ( the mac
> address was the new lan card) . It should have been eth0.
> /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules also showed the new lan card
> as eth2 instead of eth0. By switching eth0 and eth2 around I was able to
> get the network to work again.
>
> Is this a bug?
>
> Is this the correct way to get my network working again?
>
> Charles

I don't know what will havppen to that file as you do various upgrades,
but I know there is some way to set it on bootup, either as a kernel
option or in an early script (rcS.d?).  I had to do this on an old
server which is now in the dumpster...

I know this isn't much help, but at least you know there's another
approach as well.

Kenward
--
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I
have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than