Re: aptitude + dpkg

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:26:38AM +0100, somethin2cool <somethin2cool@yahoo.com> was heard to say:
> Given that aptitude is awesome and that all the stuff I want is missing
> from all the repositories, is there anyway for me to use .deb files and
> dpkg in conjunction with aptitude. I'm sure they have the dependencies
> listed inside them somewhere, and it would be brilliant. I'd settle for
> apt of course.

  Hi,

  If you want to use .deb files with apt tools, your best bet is to
build a local repository.  Stick them in a directory, chdir to that
directory, and run "apt-ftparchive packages . > Packages".  Then put the line
"deb file:///path/to/debs ./" in your sources.list and run
"aptitude update".

  For instance, to put them in /home/somethin2cool/packages, you'd do

$ cd /home/something2cool/packages
$ apt-ftparchive packages . > Packages
$ echo "deb file:///home/something2cool/packages ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
$ aptitude update

  If you don't want to do that, your second-best option is to install a
.deb by hand, then see if apt(itude) can resolve its dependencies from
your apt sources (run, e.g., "aptitude install -f" to try and fix the
dependencies of currently installed debs).  If it can't, you might need
to install some more dependencies by hand.

  Daniel