Re: SSH versus SSHFS

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:35:19 -0500, Masatran, R. Deepak <masatran@research.iiit.ac.in> wrote:

To work with a remote computer over a slow internet connection, which is
better: SSH or SSHFS? Of course it depends on the situation, but in what
situation is each better?

In my experience, if you are working with an editor it is probably better to use SSHFS, since the editing is done locally and the only time you have to worry about connection speed is when saving.

If you are doing lots of filesystem work (copying files, etc), I'd say SSH would be better, because the work is happening on the remote site and the only thing that needs to cross the line is the command line and responses.

Basically, the more interactive it is (command line is less interactive, text editor is more interactive) the more you want to keep as much local as possible. SSHFS keeps things local more than SSH.

I personally use SSH more, but I also have a high speed connection at home and my text editor does a pretty good job of it across the wire. Plus, it lets me run screen so I can close my terminal at work and pick up where I left off at home.

HTH,
Michael

--
Michael Johnson < mjohnson at pitsco dot com >
Internet Application Programmer & Product Server Administrator

"To lead educational change that positively affects learners."