Re: serial-usb adapter on Etch?

eva sjuve(eva@moolab.net) is reported to have said:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for an serial-usb adapter (usb-db9) that has
> drivers in Etch?
>
> Some adapters, like keyspan, have drivers not compatible with GPL
> licence, but I 'm having problems in finding one that has.
>
> If someone knows an plug'n'play adapter it would be great!
>
> links or tips appreciated

I picked up one at a local Computer Fair recently.  Generic made in
China model.  All it has on it it Model U232-P9.  It works on my
Testing Laptop(s) and they use the same kernel that Etch does IIRC,
2.6.18-4.

Here are the syslog entries when it is installed.

 usb 5-5.4: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
 usb 5-5.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
 usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
 drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
 usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
 drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
 drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for pl2303
 pl2303 5-5.4:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
 usb 5-5.4: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
 usbcore: registered new driver pl2303
 drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver

Hope this helps

Wayne

PS: $10 US

--
It works! Now if only I could remember what I did...