Re: custom usb install image

Douglas Allan Tutty said:

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 06:16:25PM -0500, nicholas wrote:

 mount -oloop boot.img /mnt
 fdisk /dev/sda # create one 300MB bootable FAT16 partition
 mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1
 mkdir /target
 mount /dev/sda1 /target
 (cd /mnt && tar -cpf - .)|(cd /target && tar xpf -)
{ so this copies everything from the image file to the stick }

however, what happens if you just use cp ?

I tried cp instead of tar, with the same result. I confirmed with a diff
that all the files were copied correctly in both cases. The BIOS still
just skips past it in the boot order.

In this case the syslinux.cfg is unchanged from the Debian installer
version.

I don't understand.

You had asked what was in my syslinux.cfg, but I haven't changed it from
the original that I got from the Debian hd-media/boot.img.

I wonder if the mbr isn't finding syslinux on the first partition.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that.

When you just zcat boot.img.gz, does everyting end up in sda or sda1?
If sda, try the long stuff first but wipe out the partition table and go
direct to sda instead of sda1.

With zcat the image ends up in /dev/sda, and if I run "fdisk -l /dev/sda"
there isn't a nice set of partition tables, so I figure that it's using
the "whole disk" with no partitions at all. That makes it hard for me to
use the next idea, which I'd otherwise prefer:

Maybe, as you first suggested, you can have two partitions on the stick;
one for the installer and another for an iso.

My real hope was that someone would be able to tell me how the boot.img.gz
files on the Debian servers are created. Anyone? Specifically, this is the
image that I've been using:
 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz

Thanks,
Nick