SEGV and ABRT with vim in mailx

I still use mailx as my main mail user agent, with
vim as VISUAL (v and ~v commands) editor.  It's efficient,
with helpers like metamail, and multiple xterms.
I use vim's "set mouse=a" feature.  vim catches mouse
input, unless shift is down, where the xterm gets it
as usual.

Since upgrading Sarge to Etch, vim has been exiting
with SEGV or ABRT signals.  It usually saves an up to date
edit buffer.  It leaves mailx hung, no prompt, no response
to keystrokes.  Keystrokes aren't even echoed.  If I kill
mailx, it exits, and I sort-of get the xterm back, but the
mouse is still talking vi unless shifted.  Unshifted mouse
clicks turn into escape sequences sent to whatever
is running in the xterm.

Seems random.  Always happens in visual edit mode, in
response to a change or delete command.

I suspected vim, so I went upstream and made a vim-7.0
from source.  It's got the same problem.

How to track this down?  Not much point in reporting a bug
if I don't even know what package it's in.
I guess I'll try some other terminal
for a while and see if that matters.

Cameron