setting up lilo.conf for udev (etch upgrade)

Does anyone know how to set up the mbr in lilo.conf for the udev naming
scheme?

I'm getting the error:
/dev/root: unknown volume type
mounting /dev/root on /root failed: no such device
etc. with the lilo.conf below

and the ash shell starts to try to troubleshoot.

the simple ide module is there according to cat /proc/modules and hda shows up
in dmesg.

echo $ROOT returns /dev/root

the dev directory shows
hda, hda1 and disk directories

/dev/disk is empty

I think an append="root=whatever" would do it in lilo.conf but i don't know
where to point it for udev.  I've tried append="root=/dev/hda1" and
append="root=/dev/root" statements under the initrd=initrd.img but they don't
work.

Thanks for any input, my lilo.onf is below.
Steve

lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1