Re: laptop harddrive noise

Adam Hardy wrote:
> Joe Hart on 24/04/07 15:51, wrote:
>> Adam Hardy wrote:
>>> harddrives are making a disconcerting
>>> clicking noise every 5 to 25 seconds at random - it sounds a bit like a
>>> metronome, if it wasn't so irregular.
>>>
>>> What I'm wondering, is whether it's etch reading or writing and the
>>> noise is the  disc spinning up or the heads engaging.
>>>
>>> I've configured the machine to run as a proxy gateway for my network
>>> with a firewall, but also with KDE, although that's not running as I sit
>>> here now listening to it. I shut down a few of the daemons that I
>>> thought might be causing it, but it carries on regardless.
>>>
>>> As well as being disconcerting, it's also an issue because I want to use
>>> this as a media center as well, and the last thing I want is some
>>> constant clicking noise.
[snip]
>> Do you really think it is wise to use the laptop as a do-it-all machine
>> like you're planning?
>
> There's loads of RAM - 2 gigs. I ended up with only the networking
> services (dhcpd, iptables etc) running, I stopped everything else. The
> noises continued until I powered down. I left it for a while and when I
> came back and booted the machine, the noise was no longer occuring.
> Strikes me as a hardware problem now.
>
> Regarding your question, the main priority is to have the machine run
> efficiently, i.e. low power consumption, low heat output, low noise,
> 24x7, acting as a server and internet gateway. About 1/4 of the time
> though it will be used to play music, dvds, surf the web etc.
>
> Whether that's a bad idea with this hardware setup should make itself
> apparent fairly quickly. It doesn't seem such a bad thing to me - but I
> admit I have little experience with laptops.
>
> The main thing I'm worried about is overheating which in the short term
> will cause the intel cpu to drop its speed deliberately. In the long
> term if it runs hot all the time, the cpu just won't last as long. I
> intend to keep an eye on it.
>

> Adam

Well, it sounds like you laptop is better than my desktop that I use for
pretty much the same things that you're doing, but I don't run it 24/7,
every once in a while it gets turned off.

I'm pleased to hear that the noise stopped, but I would still click on
the link provided by yag (in this thread).

I wish you the best of luck.

Joe
- --