Re: Newbie Aptitude Question about Security Updates

On Apr 23, 5:00 pm, "Jan Sneep" <j...@aidansnaturals.ca> wrote:
> Thanks Doug,
>
> But with all due respect ... it should be easier ... a lot easier! ...
> simple basic stuff, like getting the latest Security Updates, IMHO should be
> a no-brainer for the average user and not require a System Administrator to
> do ... :O(

Well now just a minute. If you did a standard install with the default
Gnome desktop, all you had to do was wait for a little orange asterik
to appear on the toolbar, click on it, and all of your security
updates would be automatically installed. No asterik means there are
no security updates. That IS dead simple.

I'm not blaming you, because it's easy to get stray advice here and
there and then end up using a program (Aptitude), even though you
don't know the options and implications. But Gnome and Synaptic are
dead simple.

You can use Ubuntu as someone suggested. That is easier, if it
installs. Though after five or six installations of each, I think
Debian installs more reliably. Ubuntu is really easy, but (again, just
my personal experience) is not as stable as Debian, assuming you
install all of the updates willy nilly on both distributions. Every so
often something breaks in a big way with an Ubuntu update. That should
not happen with Debian stable, unless you start installing your own
packages and modules.

No expert, but that's been my experience. As Groucho said, "Those are
my principles, and if you don't like them. Well, I have others."

bs