Init scripts

Hello, all...

I have a (hopefully) quick question...is it possible to
create a runlevel nearly identical to the default runlevel
(this is 2, correct? Also, do 3-5 have different
characteristics?) or else use one of the other runlevels in
order to start different programs at boot? If I choose use
an existing runlevel and to boot to, say, runlevel 3 instead
of 2, would it go *through* runlevel 2 and then into 3, or
would it jump straight to 3 and skip 2?

Basically, the goal would be to create a couple of extra
kernel stanzas nearly identical to my default, adding to the
kernel options a "softlevel=" statement that would tell it
which runlevel to default to (unless this is a bad way of
doing it, in which case I'm open to suggestions as long).

The reason I would like to do this is so that if my laptop
isn't directly hooked up to the Internet, I can choose
whether to have it try to connect to a wireless network or
just not connect at all (the current behavior is to try to
connect via the wired connection even if it's not hooked
in). Again, if there is a more graceful way of implementing
this, I am open to suggestions. It's just sometimes
irritating to have to remember to go in and hit C-c to make
it stop polling for a nonexistant connection so it doesn't
hang for a couple of minutes.

Also, on the topic of the Internet, is there any daemon-type
program I could run which would watch for my unplugging the
computer from the network and then maybe poll for a wireless
connection if there's one around? I mean, I don't really
*mind* doing ifup/down manually, but it'd be neat to maybe
streamline it a bit. Oh, and I would prefer a daemon that
*wouldn't* pull in all kinds of dependencies I don't want,
such as GNOME, KDE, or XFCE4.

Thanks in advance,
Amy