index for LaTeX document (was "xindy for i386 broken?")

Index generation in LaTeX appears to be in limbo, caught in the
transition from makeindex to xindy.  The situation has been
complicated by the transition from teTeX to TeXLive.

I am having difficulty locating the proper LaTeX/TeX/TeXLive/xindy
forums on the Internet for discussing this matter, or even to
determine the exact status.

I desire to add indexes to my document, but I have not been successful
in getting makeindex or xindy to run.  I have an i386 system and am
running Debian Lenny and TeXLive.

Is anyone able to create document indexes in the TeXLive environment?
If so, I would be thankful for guidance.

RLH