Re: files in /var/tmp

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 03:44:33PM -0700, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
My system (Debian Etch) has been recently compromised and I deleted most of the suspicious files. However I am not sure about these. Is it safe to delete them or do you think some process expects them to be there?
Use Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the disk as thoroughly as you can. Then re-install with Etch and clean media.

Why would you need to erase the disk like that?

(As long as you re-create the systems on the partitions, there's no
way the unerased sectors from previous files (from the compromise,
before the file-system re-creation) will be strung together to re-create
the bad files, right?)

Daniel