Re: Soundcard issues

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 07:01:49PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 05:22:41PM -0400, Barry F Smith wrote:

> > > I only see outdated stuff there, but thanks.  Besides, the sound card
> > > works fine, alsa works fine, I just have to repeat the alsaconf steps
> > > EACH reboot.  Update-modules after doing this didn't help either.
> > > Nothing gets loaded at boot:
> > >
> > > ~$ grep -i alsa /var/log/boot
> > > Sat Apr 14 11:15:50 2007: ^[[9;30]^[[14;30]Setting up ALSA...done (none
> > > loaded).
> > >
> > > Very, very frustrating.  And when this is done, then I get to tackle
> > > making esd (esound) work with alsa for mixing.
> > >
> > > You can tell I'm really ready to get past this etch upgrade.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ralph
> > >
> > > --1e1c94ce6334cecf9b45d8dce1e521fb
> >
> > I had a similar problem when I upgraded to etch. I'm not sure if this was
> > mentioned yet, but what I had to do was:
> > 1. Run alsaconf
> > 2. Run alsactl store
> > 3. Add my soundcard kernel module in /etc/modules, so that the module would
> > be loaded at boot. In my case I added the module snd_cs4236.
> >
> > I know that's frustrating - took me a few weeks before I had it figured
> > out. Best of luck.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Barry Smith
> >

> How do I figure out what the module name is for my sound card? I've
> never really used modules besides my ipw3945 one, so I'm inexperienced
> when it comes to them.

Ummm... that's a good question. I figured out what my soundcard was through
looking at the specs at Dell, and then finding out which module most
closely matched its name. It reminds me of trying to figure out how a word
is spelled in the dictionary - you look around for how you *think* its
spelled. (Also I used Google a lot.)

When you run alsaconf, it will probably give you a name that closely
matches the module. For example, when I run alsaconf and "Soundcard
Selection" appears, it comes up with a line that says 'cs4236 CS4236B'. I
knew that was probably close to the name of my module - snd_cs4236. If you
really don't have a clue, google what alsaconf gives you (I had to dig
around for this, too).

Also - now I remember. If you run alsaconf, and it works (you get sound) -
then when you type 'lsmod' as root you will get a list that *includes* your
new sound module, b/c your sound wouldn't be working without that module in
place.

So, here's what I did.

1. Boot the computer.
2. Run lsmod, and save the results to a file: lsmod > /tmp/modulesfile1
3. Run alsaconf.
4. Run lsmod again, and save the results to a file:
   lsmod > /tmp/modulesfile2.
5. Now compare the two files - I did this by just running a diff on both:
   diff /tmp/modulesfile1 /tmp/modulesfile2
6. Once you see the differences, you'll know which modules to add to
/etc/modules (I think maybe sometimes you need more than one module).

Good luck.

Regards,
Barry