Re: a Debian user's introduction to Redhat EL4?

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 18:54 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:32:45AM +0200, Peter Teunissen wrote:
> >
> > I've got a great opportunity to promote opensource at my job by
> > working on a BI project for Oxfam. But, I'm forced to use Redhat EL4
> > and need to get up and running in a short time. I've been looking for
> > a Debian user's introduction to Redhat EL4, but only found intro's in
> > the other direction :-)
> >
> > I'm sure others on this list have had the same challenge
>
> But this is debian.  Why not ask RH for a transistion guide?  One
> doesn't ask Microsoft for help transitioning to Debian.
>
> Isn't RHEL a commercial product?  Surely such a transition document
> would come under "you get what you pay for...".

I am sure that he really meant the other way, "a RHEL User's
introduction to Debian (and its far superior tools and ways)"

I hope. I really hope. But since he is is using RH, I am afraid not.

In any case, RPM dependency hell, rings a big bell to me. YUM and
up2date are know to have significant deficiencies.

I've seen and do have some experience with RHEL and its wonderful
rolling ABI and API problems, unlike Debian "Stable".
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup