gparted errors

In order to resolve lack of space in / (for /opt where Intel compilers
like to live) I wish to repartition my HD. I tried a LiveCD of gparted
but it gives a Kernel Panic. (NB The CD is okay since I've used it in
another machine before.) The 'problem' machine is a Pentium III (IIRC)
450MHz machine with 2 hard drives. I get to the 'options' menu, don't
add anything extra, then hit 'OKAY'. The CD spins for a couple of
seconds then nothing seems to happen for about a minute. Then I am back
on the text/console screen with a Kernel Panic message. The top lines I
can read say

Process Swapper
Stack
Call trace
<...> cdrom_start_read_continuation+0x0/0xb0 ...
EIP [<...>] ide_execute_command
<0> Kernel panic - not syncing
Fatel execption in interrupt

Any thoughts?