RE: etch upgrade problem (SOLVED)

Florian Kulzer wrote on Monday, April 09, 2007 10:41 AM -0500:

> You can try to kill the screen saver and/or the screen lock.

> However, if I kill the screen lock process on my KDE system then the
> whole X session is terminated; I assume this is a security measure.
> Therefore you should only try this if you are sure that synaptic has
> finished whatever it was doing, to avoid bringing your system in an
> even more inconsistent state.

Leaving things in a partly upgraded and inconsistent state was what I
was afraid of, and Synaptic was definitely not done.  However, I saw
gianca's response before yours so I logged in (as root), killed the
screensaver process and fortunately it worked :)  I don't know if the
difference was due to gnome vs. kde or killing the screensaver process
as root, but I'm glad it worked.  Thanks for the help to both gianca and
Florian.  I'll check out the screensaver after rebooting at the end of
the upgrade to check see if it works properly.

--------------------------------

Now on to the PERL locale variable warnings.  These warnings are all
similar to:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US"

These appear to be generally harmless, but it might be a good time to
fix the locale so this doesn't continue to happen.  One solution I read
about was "dpkg-reconfigure locales", but I wanted to ask here before I
go off and break things further :)  As I recall, these locale errors
also occurred during the Sarge install long ago, so it is more likely a
Sarge problem than an Etch problem.

--
Seth Goodman