Samba Oplocks & Latency Problems

I recently rebuilt my Debian file server, and went from a extremely old architecture to a slightly less (but not by much!) out of date architecture.
Once all the dust settled, I noticed that I was having performance issues, and a bit of digging revealed strange kernel oplock error messages which I
wasn't getting before the rebuild. "linux_set_kernel_oplock: Refused oplock on file <filename>, fd = 79, dev = 1607, inode = 702737. (Resource
temporarily unavailable)".

I found very little information on dealing with oplock problems, so I decided to go with what I did find, and turned off samba's kernel oplock support
and to use level2 oplocks instead:

	oplocks = yes
	level2 oplocks = yes

This improved things slightly (enough to make it bearable), but it's still far to slow in many cases. My Start Menu folders are on the server, and
waiting for them to display can take upwards of 3 minutes sometimes. During this wait my client CPU is pretty much idle, as is network traffic, and
the CPU on the file server seems pretty idle too. A level 10 Samba seems chatty, but nothing jumps out as being at fault.

Any ideas for further avenues I can investigate?