Re: Replacing a HD

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 12:07:35AM +0200, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> > My system boots from hda3 using grub. hda1 and hda5 are swap partitions.
> >
> > Whats the best way to get an exact copy of my two Linux systems onto the
> > new drive?
>
> Put the new drive into your PC and use dd to copy the whole 30GB disk to the new
> one. You can resize partitions afterwards using fdisk or parted.

Bah. This isn't windows. Just partition the new hd however you like.
Mount the new root partition in a nice location (like /mnt) and then
mount the rest on top of that and then rsync from one hd to the other
excluding /mnt, /tmp, /sys, /dev/pts and /proc. udev may complicate
things with /dev so you may need to temporarily umount that before
rsyncing.

It sounds complicate but it really isn't. It's the way I've done it
(including across the network) and it's not failed me yet.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."