Re: Etch upgrade problem with font server

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 13:03 -0700, TTSMUJEBNJKU@spammotel.com wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote::
> > On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 10:39 -0700, Terrence Branscombe wrote:
> >
> >> Yesterday, I took the leap and upgraded from Sarge to Etch by following
> >> the Etch release notes as best I could.  The upgrade appeared to work
> >> very well, but for some font problems.  I'm very new to debian and
> >> linux, so may have made some poor decisions during the upgrade.
> >>
> >> The xfs font server I had running in Sarge now refuses to run and the
> >> log file is empty.
> >>
> >> I made sure my "Files" list in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file matched the
> >> list in the /etc/X11/fs/config file and my /etc/X11/fs/config file is
> >> set to send errors to the /var/log/xfs.log file.  Beyond that I'm not
> >> sure what else I can do to troubleshoot this.
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated,
> >>

> > At this point, the font server is not needed anymore. As long as you
> > have fontconfig and the set of fonts by default.
> >
> > dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
> >
> > Then restart "X", as long you have the files list in the config (which
> > the defaults are very good) it works.
> >
> Since I only connect to my Debian system through remote X sessions, I
> can configure the X server (Cygwin) to use its own font path; it was
> simply easier to get the Debian host to supply the fonts and be assured
> that the fonts would be available.
>
> Now that my (remote) X server is no longer crashing because it can't
> find the xfs server, another problem with the upgrade has cropped up.
> The XDM login widget fails to appear, but nothing shows up in the
> /var/log/xdm.log file.  To me, that points to the Xstartup script, but I
> haven't touched it.

Sure, you can still run the fontserver if you want. Just the Debian
machine doesn't need it and you should not configure it to use it,
unless you REALLY want to.

First off you will need to purge the old version off
	"apt-get remove --purge xfs" or
	"aptitude purge xfs"

This should clear out some of the older deps on it(if any). Seeing as it
was XF86 xfs font server, its no wonder it doesn't run, things are just
plain missing and have been moved around drastically.

Then, once we get back, the prompt:
	"apt-get install xfs" or
	"aptitude install xfs"

Then you will need to modify the config, commenting out:
	no-listen = tcp
	#no-listen = tcp

Then perform a "/etc/init.d/xfs restart"

Once done, "netstat -na | grep 7100" will verify it is listening.

TO be sure, this does open up your machine to a possible Dos, unless you
are behind a proper firewall or are tunneling, etc...

Hope this helps.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup