Re: KDE system tray - erratic behaviour

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 13:04:02 +0000, Ken Heard wrote:
>  Florian Kulzer wrote, in part:
>
> > The system tray should simply keep its icons from session to session,
> > i.e. if you have some icons in the system tray when you log out they
> > should appear again when you log in the next time.
>
>  For me they did not.

That is a bug or a configuration problem. The latter can be ruled out
very easily by testing with a newly-generated user.

[...]

> > The only problem I have with some of the icons in the system tray is
> > that they sometimes do not come up due to, I suppose, some sort of race
> > condition at the start of KDE. That can be fixed by killing the
> > corresponding application and staring it again, e.g.
> > pkill korn; korn
>
>  I don't really want to waste my time fixing a problem which should not have
>  happened in the first place.

Then you will have to find a bug-free operating system which runs
bug-free implementations of all the programs you need.

>                                Florian did mention that the current way the
>  system tray works is confusing -- too confusing for a novice like me.

I only meant that the "Place in system tray" option in the KDE menu
editor is confusing; one might think about renaming it to "minimize this
program to the system tray immediately when it is started" or something
similar (and shorter). In any case, this option is explained in the KDE
help center.

>  The situation is not helped by the absence of documentation on the subject,
>  which of course is the Achilles heal of Linux.  If Linux is ever to gain
>  market share, the lack of documentation has to be addressed.

One resource to mitigate this problem is the debian-user list. It can
work quite well, if used properly.

> > (I have this problem only very rarely now with KDE 3.5.6; it was worse
> >  with earlier versions, especially 3.5.5. You can use a short script in
> >  ~/.kde/Autostart to automate the kill/restart workaround for the
> >  problematic applications.)
>
>  I am still with 3.5.5, which is the version shipped with Etch, and at this
>  late date in the Etch release cycle will not probably not be upgraded.  So I
>  have four choices: live with 3.5.5; install 3.5.6 directly from KDE, thereby
>  bypassing the Debian packaging system; installing it from a Debian backport
>  if such will exist after Etch becomes stable; or wait until the next Debian
>  stable release, when KDE will probably be up to 4.?.?, or even 5.?.?.

You could simply try the workaround which I outlined in my previous
email.

--
Regards,
          Florian