Re: Building i386 Disk on AMD64 -- chroot Fails: Exec format error

> > I've attached an external hard drive to my etch AMD64 box, and I
> > want to build an etch i386 system on it.  ... I want to chroot into
> > that system to do some more stuff, but the chroot fails:
> >
> > mmiller@xpc1:~$ sudo chroot /mnt/debinst /bin/bash chroot: cannot
> > run command `/bin/bash': Exec format error
>
> maybe the output of 'mount' command shows 'noexec' for that partition?

No, "(rw)" is the only option that "mount" shows.

Instead of debootstrap (what I used last time) to build the system on
the external drive, I just booted my AMD64 box into the debian
installer, and installed a fresh i386 etch onto the external drive.  The
problem is that the K7 kernel was installed as part of that, but my goal
with all of this is to build a drive that I can install into an Intel
Pentium III.

Anyway, I still can't chroot into that system after booting into my
normal AMD64 etch.  I still get the error shown above.

Maybe I'll try booting my AMD64 host into that K7 i386 system and see if
I can pick a different kernel using dselect or something.

This sure seems more convoluted that I thought it would be.