RE: GPG and Signing

John L Fjellstad wrote on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:58 PM -0500:

> The reason you and people who use OE see it as an attachment is
> because MS is unable to implement an 11 years old standard.
> This page (http://www.imc.org/smime-pgpmime.html) has a discussion
> about the different standards (PGP/MIME and S/MIME) and links to the
> different RFCs.

S/MIME was intended to work with a certification authority (CA) model
based on a small number of universally trusted root CA's, while PGP
assumed a distributed web of trust model based on personal relationships
between individual users.  There's no technical reason a CA can't sign a
PGP key, but this was not the intended mode of use.  I suggest the
problem wasn't MS's inability to implement PGP (it's no harder than
S/MIME), but more likely they couldn't see a way to make money from it.
Instead, they built native S/MIME support into their MUA's, built a
certificate store into their operating system and bought VeriSign.

--
Seth Goodman